Sunday, September 27, 2015

Fitting the kitchen

After weeks at home building part of the left hand side kitchen benches, this last weekend I took out my handy work and fitted it in place. I also chased down some more rot on the outside.

I started by sanding off the supports and base plates that I'd installed years ago.

Then I fitted the end wall. It's just standing in position here after two hours of adjusting to assure that it stands straight and level.

I then fitted three pegs to the bottom edge...

... and drilled three holes in the support.
And here she is in place! No fixings needed other than the pegs at the base and a clamp to hold it in place until I build in the rest of the bench around it.

A broader view showing the setting within the carriage.

I also found a bit of rot that I sanded and scrubbed out of a toplight above the kitchen.

A bit of bog and a slap of paint and she's as good as new!

Sunday, September 6, 2015

More woodwork

I did have a run out to Clarabelle on Saturday but ended up just having a kip on board (it is a great place for an afternoon snooze!) and spent some time scraping paint off the windows. But Sunday I did some more woodwork at home.

Last weekend I cut the other three mortise and tenons so here is a first assembly of the frame

I was quite happy with some of the joints ...

... but not so happy with a couple of the others. This soon came good after some adjusting of the joint.

Then I cut slots in the frame to accept the 6mm marine ply panel. I did this on the Triton with three passes of the saw. And that's the panel that the frame pieces are sitting on cut to the right size to fit into the slots

Loose assembly to make sure everything fits, and it did! Subsequent to this picture I pulled it all apart and glued it all together. Currently it's all drying under a picture frame clamp, dead flat and square!