Monday, February 16, 2015

Toplights and table

This last weekend was a short visit on a hot day to finish off the job I had started the week before. I also took some work home with me!

First up, fill the hole from last week where the rot was with builder's bog
The bog sets quickly allowing sanding off
A new section of 9mm quad is added, held in place by acrylic sealant
Then a good coat of 3-in-1 and the whole area is as good as new!

Some time spent with an old chisel and sander cleaned up the area surrounding both toplights before the whole lot was sealed with 3-in-1.

My home work was taking the dining table out and doing some remedial work on it. I build this table several years ago from a solid slab of silky oak that a mate gave me. Despite some elaborate devices on the underside, it has warped since I installed it. So, as part of the renovations of the dining area, I'm trying to straighten the warp and generally refurbish the piece.

Dewarping by strapping the table top to my trailer with chocks underneath running against the warp.

The warping has cause the edge pieces to come out of shape and open up so I recut the corners and have the errant pieces strapped back into place.

This is just the start of the table refurbishment. After she has been strapped down for a while, I'll screw in the edges to tighten it all up then strip the upper surfaces, refill joints and cracks and revarnish the whole lot.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

More rot

It's been a while (again), sorry about that! But I managed to get out to the Old Girl last Sunday and have a bit of a tinker.

The dining area with a freshly painted ceiling and bulkheads wrapped for protection

First up I finished off the ceiling in the dining area and began sanding and repainting the western wall. Then I thought I should investigate a couple of leaks on the other side...

A bit of attention with the sander and the problems were quickly identified

I had noticed on a previous visit after some rain that water had collected on the inside sills of these two windows so I set about looking for where the water could be getting in.

The hole left after the rot was cut out

 The corner of one top light was hiding a nasty bit of rot that had to be dug out.

The cracked drop light
 On the other window the drop light had cracked in one corner and so needed patching up

Sitting in her undies
I was able to patch the minor cracks but didn't have the tools or goo needed to fill the hole where the rot had been so I slapped around some 3-in-one (primer-sealer-undercoat) to protect the exposed timber and glued a piece of plastic over the hole to protect it from damp. Not expecting any rain this week, in fact there's a bit of a heat wave happening, so it should stay all nice and dry until I can get back at her next Sunday.