Tuesday, February 10, 2015

More rot

It's been a while (again), sorry about that! But I managed to get out to the Old Girl last Sunday and have a bit of a tinker.

The dining area with a freshly painted ceiling and bulkheads wrapped for protection

First up I finished off the ceiling in the dining area and began sanding and repainting the western wall. Then I thought I should investigate a couple of leaks on the other side...

A bit of attention with the sander and the problems were quickly identified

I had noticed on a previous visit after some rain that water had collected on the inside sills of these two windows so I set about looking for where the water could be getting in.

The hole left after the rot was cut out

 The corner of one top light was hiding a nasty bit of rot that had to be dug out.

The cracked drop light
 On the other window the drop light had cracked in one corner and so needed patching up

Sitting in her undies
I was able to patch the minor cracks but didn't have the tools or goo needed to fill the hole where the rot had been so I slapped around some 3-in-one (primer-sealer-undercoat) to protect the exposed timber and glued a piece of plastic over the hole to protect it from damp. Not expecting any rain this week, in fact there's a bit of a heat wave happening, so it should stay all nice and dry until I can get back at her next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment